the summer of 1929, flames swept through the home
of the George Schladerback family on Mehl Avenue in
the village of Black Jack. Local citizens were appalled
at the devastation the fire caused so quickly.
a result of the fire that destroyed the Schladerback
familyís home two of the leaders in the community
Edward Dieckmann and George Jackobsmeyer, set out
to see that such a tragedy never occurred again in
Black Jack. The entire community went to work organizing
a variety fund raising events in order to purchase
fire fighting equipment and apparatus. The first meeting
of the Black Jack Community Fire Prevention Organization
was held on August 1st, 1929, at which the bylaws
of the organization were approved and adopted.
a cost of $5,356 dollars, the new department purchased
a 1929 REO Speed wagon, 500 GPM Pumper from General
Fire Apparatus Co. in St. Louis , Missouri . The new
engine was housed in a shed at Old Halls Ferry Road
and Parker Road , and manned by a force of twenty
one volunteer firefighters. As the area grew, the
need for the department to grow also became apparent.
In 1953, the department was incorporated into a tax
supported Fire Protection District. A new fire station
was constructed in 1956 near the site of the original
volunteer shed. This station served until 2007 when
it was replaced by a new state of the art facility.
In the 1960ís the department began to employ full
time professional firefighters, and in 1966 a second
fire station was added at 18955 Old Jamestown Road
. This station will be replaced in 2008. Through the
1970ís, 80ís and up into the new millennium, the number
of paid full time firefighters has steadily grown
to nearly forty full time professional firefighters.
new Pumpers and a new Aerial Ladder Truck are now
serving the district, along with an impressive variety
of rescue equipment. Many Black Jack firefighters
have achieved high levels of advanced training and
education along with many years of valuable experience.
A new third fire station with fire district administrative
offices, a firefighter training facility and quarters
for the firefighters manning the Aerial Ladder / Rescue
truck was opened in 2006. The need for this expansion
was recognized and supported by the citizens of the
community with the approval of a bond issue. Just
as the residents bonded together in 1929 to support
a fire department, so today are the hard working residents
of the Black Jack Fire Protection District supporting
the efforts of their highly trained and dedicated